Jim James and the sound of God. Plus Eels and Nick Cave.

3 records play in my head.
3 short "first impression" reviews magically appear below.
1 winner. You.

1 ounce of reverb: Not worth your time. Not even if its free streaming.
2 ounces of reverb: Ok, but still a little disappointing.
3 ounces of reverb: Good stuff. You might even want to buy the download.
4 ounces of reverb: People will buzz. You might even star listening to CDs again!
5 ounces of reverb: A modern day classic! 180 gram vinyl is not even good enough!

Jim's James "Regions of Light and Sound of God" 2.5 ounces of reverb.  Good but not going to become great.
 First off I'm not a huge My Morning Jacket fan.  I get them to a point.  Jim James is the lead singer and driving force behind MMJ and I've always felt their music was missing something.  It can be grandiose.  Sometimes rocking.  Jim's voice is strong.  I've always felt the songs just didn't grab me enough.  I can't remember a time I heard an MMJ song and felt like, "I need that song on repeat all day today!"  With that as a long and probably useless intro I have to say that JJ's first solo record is interesting.  The first song in the free stream I listened to (there is another song showing before it on the iTunes album.  I'm not sure why it is not in the streaming version.) "Know Till Now" had me thinking that Mr. James thinks that the sound of God is similar to a Flaming Lips record.  But for some reason "Dear One" hooked me.  I don't know if I like the record but it sure seems worth a listen or two.  Highlights: "Dear One" and "A New Life".

Eels "Wonderful, Glorious" 2 ounces of reverb. Where are the hits?
Spinner compares Eels to Beck and Sparklehorse and that is not a bad comparison.  So considering I like both Beck and Sparklehorse that means that I like Eels.  What Mark Oliver Everett cops from Beck and Sparklehorse is more sound then substance.  He is not as talented as Beck and is missing the deep sadness and beauty that Mark Linkous captured in Sparklehorse's music.  "Wonderful, Glorious" is just more of the same from Eels.  Nice production, some nice beats, and some cool sounds...just missing the songs.  Highlights: "New Alphabet" and "Wonderful, Glorious".

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds "Push The Sky Away" 4 ounces of reverb.  Cough up the dough Cheapskates!
I'm a late in finding Nick Cave.  I've only been aware of his music for the last couple of years.  Better late than... (CLICHE ALERT!)  I like what I'm hearing on this new record.  It's dark but not heavy.  Lyrically Nick Cave is the man.  It seems that he is telling stories but there's not really much more than images, details, and the truth.  Highlights: "Wide Lovely Eyes" and "Water's Edge".



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?