Alabama Pollard Shakes Robert's Shins

Internet record reviews.  I listen to the album streaming one time through then give my first impression.  Oh yeah...I also use a random rating scale.  I know...real innovative.

1 chocolate Easter bunny- Keep looking around the house.  There has to be more!
2 chocolate Easter bunnies- Okay but this won't last the night.
3 chocolate Easter bunnies- Good stuff.  Worth the time invested.
4 chocolate Easter bunnies- This is so good you might get sick of it!
5 chocolate Easter bunnies- The best!  Should last till Halloween!

The Shins "Port of Morrow" 1.75 chocolate Easter bunnies.  Weak showing.
I hate, Hate, HATE when a single comes out and it shows so much promise for the album.  It rocks.  It's catchy.  It's really good.  Then it ends up being the best thing by far on a weak album.  Case in point is "Port of Morrow" by the Shins.  I'm not a huge fan of the Shins but I like some of their tunes.  This album shows that the Shins are pretty good at writing a hook, but in this day and age of "what do you have for me today" a band needs to be more than "pretty good".  Highlights: "Simple Song" and "It's Only Life".

Robert Pollard "Mouseman Cloud" 1.9 chocolate Easter bunnies.  Okay but disappointing.
Robert Pollard is prolific.  He is a wordsmith.  Unfortunately he's not much of a perfectionist when it comes to putting out albums.  This album is full of boring filler and lacking hooks.  "Bats Flew Up" is rife with possibility but still falls flat.  "Continue To Break" is one of the worst songs I've heard in quite while.  Pollard repeats lines over and over as if to say "Well that's it kids.  The well is running dry."  He will put out a great album again.  I'm sure of it.  Unfortunately it might not be until he reunites the best lineup of GBV.  Pollard/Gillard in 2013!  Highlights: "Bats Flew Up" and ummm...

Alabama Shakes "Boys & Girls" 1.89 chocolate Eater bunnies.  I don't want to hold on.
I know!  I know!  Brittany Howard can sing!  Oh boy can she sing!  But after listening to "Boys & Girls" I can't get over the feeling that this is the Edie Brickell and New Bohemians of the 2000s.  One really good single followed up by some only okay songs.  Maybe another album or two down the road and then a never getting super famous solo career.  Don't get me wrong this album is bluesy, soulful, and pleasant to listen to but it's lacking.  Congrats on breaking through now do something great.  Highlights: "Hold On" and "Be Mine."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few