King Tuff, Rhett Miller, and Jaill walk into a bar...

Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution...at least not when you have your headphones on.

Random record review ratings:

1 Grape Ape - Not good.  Not good at all.
2 Grape Apes - Meh.
3 Grape Apes - Good.  But average good.
4 Grape Apes - Cool.  Rock worth your time and moola!
5 Grape Apes - A brand new masterpiece worth your time and your exclamation points!!!

King Tuff "King Tuff" 4 Grape Apes.  Tuff stuff!
I knew nothing of this band.  I heard some mentions on a podcast.  Only heard the name and had no idea what the music is like.  So this is truly first reaction: Sweet!  I'm a sucker for raw rock riffs with wimpy indie boy vocals.  Reminds me of growing up on Superchunk.  The songs aren't knocking me over but they are fun.  Just enough roll with the rock.  I will be digging into this band more very soon.  Highlights: "Bad Thing" and "Anthem".

Rhett Miller "The Dreamer"3 Grape Apes.  Genuine.  Countryish.  A little too long.
It's hard to not compare Rhett Miller to Ryan Adams.  (See I'm already doing it.)  He writes good songs.  They have a country feel to them.  But for some reason on this new record a lot of the songs felt too long.  Too much of a pretty good thing can be a bad thing.  Nice record just a little too long winded for my taste.  Highlights: "Lost Without You" and "Marina".

Jaill "Traps" 3 Grape Apes.  Solid but...
Yes Jaill is from Milwaukee.  Yes I also make Brewtown my home.  But oddly I've only seen them play live one time.  So I do not have a huge history with this band.  With that said on with my brief review.  I felt like this record started out a bit slow with "Waste of a Lot of Things" and never really took off like I hoped it would.  There are some good songs but there are also some weak ones.  "Madness" comes to mind.  Right at this moment Jaill is playing a record release in store at a record store 15 minutes from my house, but until they release that kick ass record full of catchy tunes I'll just stay home and write weak reviews about okay records.  Highlights: "Everyone's a Bitch" and "House With Haunting".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls