White Beach Raveonettes Jack House

Step one: Listen to a new record in it's full glory streaming over the Internets with cheap headphones on so I don't bother my kids who are watching Disney movies.
Step two: Type my initial reaction out in the form of a review.
Step three: Give the record a random and somewhat useless rating from a random and somewhat useless review scale.
Step four: Repeat.

Random and somewhat useless rating scale:

1. iPod Shuffle-Small.  Gets the job done but doesn't do it nearly well enough to make it worth your money.
2. iPod Nano-Okay.  Nice colors.  Just seems a little inferior to the other things that do it better.
3. iPod Classic-Bigger.  Better.  This is the workhorse.
4. iPod Touch-Flashy. Does everything the others do and more.
5. iPhone-Better than the rest.  This will make your life worth living!

Jack White "Blunderbuss" iPod Nano.  Only okay.
Jack White's music is all right with me.  I've never really gone out and searched for an album of his but what I heard seemed okay to me.  He plays a style of rock that is deeply rooted in the classics that came before him yet his songs seem fresh.  I just don't know what is missing for me.  It doesn't excite the musician in me like I feel it should.  Don't get me wrong there are some really good songs on this record.  "Sixteen Saltines" is a big slab of rock that never lets up.  "Love Interruption" sounds familiar.  It sounds like the song that will be played on the radio starting in a couple of weeks and also like that one that has always been played on the air.  It's a good album.  Just not one that I'm going to immediately download so I can play it again and again.  Highlights: "Sixteen Saltines" and "Love Interruption" duh.

The Raveonettes "Into the Night" iPod Touch
Would you believe that I feel exactly the same about the Raveonettes as I do about Jack White?  They have some good songs.  I know because I've heard them.  However I have never purchased anything by this band.  "Into the Night" just might change that fact.  Reverb-drenched rock is the order of the day and the pop shines through the layers of verbed-out guitars.  The title track leads off this ep nicely.  It's catchy, full of flavors.  (Flavors??)  "Night Comes Out" sounds like it belongs in an indie movie but not a cheesy one.  One of those good Sundance movies that everybody starts talking about.  "Too Close To Heartbreak" takes the same sounds and adds upbeat pop.  Last but not least is "Bad Ghosts".  This one will get some radio and podcast play.  This is a really nice release.  I know I'm more interested in The Raveonettes more than I was 15 minutes ago.

Beach House "Bloom" iPod Shuffle

Some are calling this album dreamy.  I'm saying, "Exactly!  It put me to sleep and made me dream of listening to a better record."  Highlights: "I'm a bit cooler just for listening to this super hip record!  Okay, not anymore."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?