JUST MISSED IT (1st edition) Featuring Laura Stevenson

New feature alert!  I call it "Just missed it"!  I will be featuring records that I've recently discovered that may have been out for a while.  When I say "a while" I mean it could be a couple months to a couple of decades.  I've heard NPR's Bob Boilen say that there just is not enough time to listen to everything that is worth a listen.  This is from a guy who listens to music every day and goes to tons of live shows.  I tend to agree.

JUST MISSED IT    (1st edition)

Laura Stevenson "Wheel" (2013 Don Giovanni Records)
I first heard Laura Stevenson on NPR's podcast "All Songs Considered".  They played the amazing track "L-Dopa" and I was hooked.  For some reason I have a problem connecting with female artists (insert juvenile comment here).  They need to have something really special to grab me as a fan (insert even worse comment here).  Something in Laura's vocal delivery paired with her not-too-predictable songwriting and instrumentation has won me over.  I'm listening to the full "Wheel" record right now and right away I'm impressed.  At times grandiose and full and other times stark and solo, Stevenson has talent to spare in the songwriting department.  It also helps that she is a heck of a guitarist.  "L-Dopa" is still my favorite track on the record but there is not a clunker among the 12 others.  It also doesn't hurt that she is on tour right now with another of my favorite discoveries, the band Cheap Girls.  No stop in my town but I will definitely catch her the next time around.  Support talented artists.  Buy this record!
Favorite tracks:
#12- "L-Dopa"
#1- "Renee"
#9- "The Move"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?