Birth of an Indie Rocker

One of my first memories of music was putting on my 45 single of “Saturday Night” by the Bay City Rollers and pretending to perform the song with my brother and sister. In fifth grade I signed up to play the string bass in South Milwaukee’s music program. I guess I took to playing an instrument fairly quickly as I would beat out older kids for first chair early on in Junior High and High School. I guess all that lip syncing and fake strumming helped! At that time my musical tastes were all over the board. Since I was a bass player (and just starting to play electric bass guitar) I liked just about any band that had a really good bass player. Some of my early “idols” were John Taylor (Duran Duran), Stanley Clarke, John Entwistle (The Who), Chris Squire (Yes), and last but most important was Geddy Lee (Rush). I was so obsessed with Geddy’s playing that before I was lucky enough to score my first bass guitar I would “pluck” along with his moving bass lines on the wooden frame of my bed for hours while I listened to Rush albums. So how did an avid bass rocker turn into a guitar playing indie rocker? I recently had fun tracing the roots back and came up with a list of my favorite indie rock albums. Once I put the release years and the stories together the evolution became clear as day.


I made a list of all the albums that I could remember off the top of my head that meet the following qualifications: 1. I owned the album (cd in most cases). 2. The group must be considered indie rock. (To me that means mostly guitar driven rock/pop songs by a band that never really was considered “mainstream”. What is “mainstream” rock? Well to me Bon Jovi would be a good example.) 3. The album was important to me which means I gave it more than just a passing listen. In most cases the album was listened to repeatedly, analyzed musically and lyrically, and just “lived” day after day. Another thing to note is that I’m listing the albums chronologically by release date but in some cases it took me a couple of years to learn about the recording.

The Smithereens – Especially For You – 1986

This is one of the first albums that I can remember listening to that might be considered indie before there was an indie. I’m pretty sure I heard “Blood and Roses” somewhere and was drawn in by the cool bass line. I remember at the time the songs were considered almost a rip off of the 1960s era pop rock. But that didn’t matter to me. All I knew was that there were some really cool songs with crunchy guitars and melodic vocal lines. One of my earliest cover bands played a couple of the songs and we used to get some really good reactions from people even though this was not a huge release at all.

The Replacements – Pleased To Meet Me - 1987

I had heard previous albums from the Replacements but this was the first album that I seriously got into. I was so clueless I didn’t even know who Alex Chilton was at the time but thanks to the song they wrote about him I was introduced to some of his music as well. My particular favorite songs were the first few. “IOU”, “Alex Chilton”, and “I Don’t Know” were played over and over when I was in the mood for some upbeat rockers. In fact this was one of those albums that didn’t have a bad song. I was never able see the Replacements live but listening to their albums gave me the feeling of being in an old pool hall checking out the somewhat drunk band on a makeshift stage.

Jane’s Addiction – Nothing’s Shocking – 1988

“Nothing’s shocking” said Perry Farrell and his crew in Jane’s Addiction back in 1988. But to me this album was shocking. I first heard some of this album when a friend, Dave Steinbach, was listening to it in a break area at the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee. Now I knew that Dave had unusual taste in music and that he liked some stuff that I wouldn’t go near. (Skinny Puppy anyone?) But when I asked him what he was listening to he just put his headphones on me and I heard rock. Something that sounded like metal but wasn’t. Something that sounded layered but raw. Something that sounded primal but with some polish on it. I went out and bought the CD as soon as I could. “Summertime Rolls” became an all time favorite song of mine but all the others were just as cool. Jane’s opened up my eyes to bands that I thought might be too weird for my taste. They made me realize that you can’t judge a CD by its cover art. Sometimes those weirdo bands are just rock bands with a creative eye.

Pixies – Doolittle - 1989

The Pixies is another band that I only had passing knowledge of at the time they were releasing their classic albums. The first album of theirs that I found a connection with was Doolittle. “Debaser”, “Wave of Mutilation”, “Here Comes Your Man”, “Monkey Gone To Heaven”: all these songs made me wonder why only the weird goth kids liked this really cool pop band. Pixies were another band that I liked but never saw in their heyday. (I ended up seeing them years later when they opened for Weezer.) But I did realize at the time that they were an important band and they were making really cool (weird but cool) music. (Side note: 1989 was also the last year that I bought a new Rush release. Presto marked the end of an era for the bass guitar-loving rocker in me.)

Soul Asylum – And The Horse They Rode In On – 1990

This is the first band on my list that I actually followed somewhat religiously. I knew some of their previous releases but this is the album that defines them for me. I went to see them in Madison and the show was long, sweaty, balls-out rocking, and beer drenched balladry all rolled into one fantastic night. Dave Pirner gave a preview of the rock star that he would become but I claim he was more a rock star that night then he ever was later in his career. I was particularly drawn in by “Spinnin’”, “Veil Of Tears”, and “Easy Street” because they were the big arena rock songs I so loved back then. But I also really got into “We 3” and “Grounded” which were slower and showed more of the acoustic leanings of the band. This was another one of those great albums from beginning to end and I was starting to fall in love with rock and roll for all the right reasons.

*Note before proceeding: Chris Voss (friend and co-guitarist in our band Certain Stars) always says that my musical time was the 90’s and I used to laugh at that thinking there is plenty of stuff that I love that has been released before and after the 90’s. But looking at the following entries on my list I have determined that 1991 and 1992 were a huge time in the formation of indie rock as we know it today. I have also decided that Chris is exactly right. If I could go back in time it would be to January of 1991 so over the next 2 years I could see the bands that were about to release my favorite music of all time.

Teenage Fanclub – Bandwagonesque – 1991

Ok so most people have probably heard that Spin magazine rated this best album of 1991 over 2nd place finisher Nevermind by Nirvana. Most people also consider this a terrible mistake since Nevermind went on to sell a bazillion albums and Teenage Fanclub is still toiling away in obscurity. Well I disagree with most people. I think Spin was right on the money. Bandwagonesque is one of the coolest and catchiest albums from beginning to end that there is…ever. Ok so I didn’t know at the time that Teenage Fanclub was pretty much ripping off Big Star chord for chord. But that’s okay with me because I still love putting this one on, turning up the volume, and singing along with every song.

Dinosaur Jr. – Green Mind – 1991

I honestly can’t remember how I first heard of Dino Jr. All I can remember was listening to this cd over and over and over again. This is another one of those “every song is a keeper” albums. Guitarist/vocalist J. Mascis knew how to mix Neil Young guitar noise with melodic vocal lines like no one since, well, Neil Young. Mix in a couple of pretty acoustic numbers and some great artwork and you have one of my favorite releases of all time.

Poster Children – Daisychain Reaction – 1991

I do remember how I found out about the Poster Children. They opened for Soul Asylum at a great show at the Marquette Union. I remember loving the beats and the big guitars. I also remember not really liking the sound of the vocals. That didn’t stop me from buying a cd or two (or eight). Daisychain Reaction was one of the first indie rock albums that made me realize you don’t have to be a super talented guitarist and singer to have a good band. They just wrote cool songs and rocked them with an intensity that rivaled heavy metal. “Cancer” and “Spacegun” were two songs that I always yelled out for when I would see Poster Children live. In fact I went to one sparsely attended show at the Cactus Club some years ago and the band asked for requests to play for an encore. I quickly and loudly yelled “Cancer”. Rose the bass player said, “Yeah that’s a good one”, and they launched off into a ripping rendition of one of my favorite songs. I also was able to open for them one year with an old band that I fronted. I wish I could say it was a magical night but Milwaukee didn’t show up that night. It’s a shame because they really brought it that night.

Smashing Pumpkins – Gish – 1991

Not so funny or relevant Smashing Pumpkins story: I would go through the local weekly paper religiously. I would always read the music related stories and look at the listings for the shows coming up. One week I saw a listing for a band named Smashing Pumpkins playing at local dive The Unicorn. I said to my then girlfriend, “Smashing Pumpkins. That’s a cool band name. We should go see them.” I was promptly told that just seeing a band based on their name alone was not a good idea and we never went. I knew I should have listened to my instincts! Soon after I hear a song off of Gish on the college radio station, buy the CD, and the rest is history. I framed one of my early bands after the Pumpkins. I tried (but failed) to get Billy’s cool guitar sound. We even played a song off of Gish when we played at the Unicorn a few years later. But unfortunately Billy Corgan decided that a new direction was necessary and he never again captured my attention like he did with Gish. In a list of my favorite albums of all time this one has a good chance of landing on top of that list.

Matthew Sweet – Girlfriend – 1991

To me Matthew Sweet came out of nowhere. I didn’t know where he was from. I still don’t. He came from pop heaven as far as I’m concerned. Girlfriend came at me at the exact right time. Everyone said he was ripping off pop bands from the 60’s and 70’s but it sounded new and fresh to me. His songs were catchy, full of hooks, and layered with sweet melodies and harmonies. I really don’t know what else to say about this album. It is truly a gem.

Pixies – Trompe Le Monde – 1991

This is the Pixies release that really caught my ear. Great crunchy guitars. Sing-a-long melodies. All of the Pixies albums are worth owning but this one means a little bit more to me than the others. Probably because I played the heck out of it after I bought it.

Pavement – Slanted and Enchanted – 1992

This one is another one that has a story behind how I came to own it. I was at my friend Paul’s apartment hanging out. It was just another one of those weekend nights where I had nothing to do. We were drinking beer and playing darts when he put this CD on and handed it to me. I don’t remember how he came across it but we both agreed it was a little too weird for our tastes. But later as the beers really started taking effect this disc was sounding better and better to me. I bought it from him that night and it became one of my favorites of all time. Pavement has never recaptured the greatness that shines on Slanted and Enchanted.

Sugar – Copper Blue – 1992

When I heard this for the first time I really didn’t have a clue about who Bob Mould was. I didn’t know Husker Du from the board game of the same name. But this is another one of those albums that is just plain great from beginning to end. Bob has released some strong rock records in his day but none better than this one as far as I’m concerned.

Cracker – Cracker Brand – 1992

“What the world needs now is another folk singer like I need a hole in my head.” This line could have been from 2009 but it is from the 1992 debut album by Cracker. David Lowery is an amazing artist. His stuff can be a little too “samey” sometimes but that’s not necessarily a bad thing when you are so good at writing rock songs. His songs are creative, witty, catchy, and Cracker is the perfect band to deliver those songs. This is another one of those strong albums from beginning to end. What was in the water in 1992?

The Lemonheads – It’s a Shame About Ray – 1992

My brother had this cassette before they added “Mrs. Robinson” to it. I bought the CD post “Mrs. Robinson” and I will argue that this is a perfect album. Every song is catchy. The lyrics aren’t amazing but they are very good at times. “She’s the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete” is one of my favorite lyrics of all time. If my house was on fire this would be one of the things I would grab for on the way out.

Walt Mink – Miss Happiness – 1992

Back in the 90’s Walt Mink was my favorite band. I saw them many times and usually from right in front of the stage at very small clubs. Walt Mink was on the brink of stardom for years. They never made it out of those clubs. But for me that was a great thing. Their music was full of talented playing. The vocals were odd but in a good way. They were an indie band playing arena rock in small clubs. At that time there was nothing better. Miss Happiness is by far one of the best albums ever recorded.

The Afghan Whigs – Congregation – 1992

There was no band like the Whigs back when I first heard them on the college radio station. Soul-influenced American rock from Cincinnati that sounded so fresh and original I became an instant fan. I still remember the song I first heard, “Turn On the Water.” It didn’t take me long to go out and buy the CD and this is another one of those strong releases that just doesn’t have a week moment. Greg Dulli sang like a man possessed and the lyrics hinted that he was possessed with something Earthly. I will leave that up to the reader to find out what that is.

The Afghan Whigs – Gentlemen – 1993

How many bands in the History of Rock have released a masterpiece and then followed it up a year later with an even better masterpiece? Not many I would bet. This is another great, GREAT, GREAT album from beginning to end. This seems to be a popular theme but really how many albums are released these days that are great albums and not just a collection of some cool songs? Gentlemen has it all. Strong vocals, great lyrics, a theme running through the album, and very good instrumentation. The odd thing that I noticed about the Afghan Whigs music: females seem to love it even though a lot of the themes are about men using and abusing women, murder, and just generally dark lyrics. If you figure out the attraction let me know.

Superchunk – Foolish – 1994

I had some previous Superchunk CDs. They were punky without being punk rock, Lo-Fi, not the greatest quality production, but I liked the urgency and the melodic rock. Then along comes Foolish. As you can see by my list I was already won over by odd catchy bands that barely anyone else knew about but this one really knocked me out. A lot of the songs were slower than the previous Superchunk songs but that didn’t matter to me. (Some “true” fans despise the move to slower melodic rock.) The first song “Like a Fool” reeled me in like a guppy on a shark hook. I loved the feeling of the song. The lyrics were witty without being too contrived. The fast rockers still packed the old Superchunk punch. When people ask about what albums you would take on a desert island this is the first one on my list. Superchunk went on to release some great albums (they have another one coming out this year) but Foolish will always remain at the top of the heap for me.

Guided By Voices – Bee Thousand – 1994

I might lose my indie cred card by saying this but when I first heard this album (it’s the first GBV I ever listened to and it was on a cassette that my brother recorded for me) I did not get it at all. It sounded horrible as far as production quality and I didn’t really hear the pop gems inside of the odd mess that I thought this album was. But friends (and my bro) kept saying how great this band was. So I went to a live show to see what I was missing. In the word of chef Emeril Lagasse, “BAM!” Their live show hit me like a ton of bricks. Songs that I never heard before sounded like amazing rock gems. I clearly heard The Who’s influence on the band and saw a beer tossing, mic swinging, leg kicking rock star at the front of the stage . He was born for this moment. I went back to the stuff I heard and listened closer. The rock was there all along. I’ve seen some great live bands in my life but GBV may be the most fun, captivating, and just best band I have ever seen in person. Bee Thousand turned out to be one of the best albums I didn’t like.

Sebadoh – Bakesale – 1994

When I first heard this album I didn’t know Lou Barlow from Lou Grant. But I did know that this album was catchy, quirky, a little on the dark side, and had a really cool picture for its cover art. The song “Skull” quickly became my favorite but songs like “Rebound” and “Magnet’s Coil” were different than most everything else at that time. The guitars were gritty but chime-y at the same time. The lyrics touched on the negative side of relationships and falling into a “Rebound”. You won’t hear this stuff on many radio stations lately but you should be.

Sunny Day Real Estate – Diary – 1994

I heard the first song on this disc,“Seven”, on WMSE late at night after getting out of one of my bands gigs. At first I thought the singer was a girl. I thought, “Wow this is the most rocking girl band I’ve ever heard!” After doing some research on the band I soon found out the singer was a guy with an incredible voice. Some people claim SDRE is one of the founding members of emo rock and although I tend to agree I found out something much more accurate when I saw them at the Unicorn in Milwaukee for this tour. They were a balls-out rocking band that just happened to have an emotive singer. I loved Diary immediately so when I saw they were coming to Milwaukee I had to go see them. However no one I asked wanted to or was able to go that night. So like any indie rock nerd I went alone. Yes I felt uncomfortable during the forgettable opening bands sets. But once SDRE took the stage it seemed like we were all family. There was plenty of room to move and every single person in that dark dingy basement-like club lit up like we were little girls watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I will never forget that show and Diary will always find its way to my cd player (or whatever is playing music years from now).

Wilco – Being There – 1996

A double album (double cd) was almost unheard of for a somewhat unknown band back in the mid 90s. A.M. had come out a year previously but by no means did that album make them superstars. I guess sometimes you just have to proclaim you are a superstar to become one. Being There made that claim and it was good enough to back it up.

First Third – 41 Twin – 1998

This entry is for the only local band that has made my list and it requires some background story. The leader of First Third is Chris Voss who currently plays in my band Certain Stars. At the time this album came out I was fronting my own band Fiercely Me. We played shows once in a while but we had no plans on recording our own album. 41 Twin changed everything. It was the first local release that I had heard that stood up against all my favorite CDs of the time. It had great songs, cool instrumental details, and a nice mix of music styles. It made me realize that a “local” band can be just as good as a “national” band. Two years later Fiercely Me released our only album Ecstaseeds. It didn’t measure up to 41 Twin but without it I don’t think our album would have ever been possible. Oh and 41 Twin is still my favorite local album.

Ryan Adams – Rock N Roll – 2003

Ryan Adams is a talented songwriter. He seems to put out albums annually and there is a lot of mediocre stuff filling up those albums. But for me Rock N Roll was different. It’s full of strong rock songs with catchy melodies. I like his other albums but if it wasn’t for Rock N Roll I don’t think I would have given them much attention.

Rogue Wave – Descended Like Vultures – 2005

I could have made this list twice as long but I feel like this album is a good one to finish with. Rogue Wave is one of my favorite bands of all time and Descended Like Vultures is my favorite album. It’s catchy but quirky. The rock songs rock but are not predictable. The acoustic songs are pretty without being sappy. This is the album that most indie bands these days wish they could release.

If you made it this far you are either related to me or you are crazy bored! So that’s an outline of my journey from Rush to Rogue Wave. I know not everybody has the same musical taste and some people might look at my list and see bands they don’t like, or think something major is missing. But this was my journey. It’s a true story and I hope it continues for a long time to come. Feel free to comment below and let me know what bands/albums I should check out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls