Thinking of you and record reviews!

All records are listened to one time completely through by me. Reviews are my first impression and could change with more listens but probably won’t.





0 Classic Big Wheels – Horrible! Who would want to live in a world where there were no Big Wheels?

1 Classic Big Wheel – Might work for someone but it still seems empty to me.

2 Classic Big Wheels – Better. At least now we can have a race.

3 Classic Big Wheels – Cool! Now we are talking!

4 Classic Big Wheels – Call your friends! It’s time to party!

5 Classic Big Wheels – What??? Are you kidding??? Genius! Nothing could be better! (Okay smartass. I know 6 would be better but hey…it’s a 0 to 5 scale. Gotta stop somewhere.)



braam “Living Room” 3.85 Classic Big Wheels – You can’t take the Midwest out of this with the jaws of life.



Important note: This is the first record that was sent to me by a member of the band who has read my reviews. However that will not influence what I write about it. Ok so maybe it will a little, but not a lot.


I’ve known of braam for some years now. This is Midwestern rock music through and through. “Living Room” starts out with some beautiful acoustic guitar and what follows is a record full of mid-tempo, heartfelt songs that will leave you satisfied. My favorite so far is “Skyscraper Eyes”. Not only is it a great word combination (I love when people put two words together that just open up the imagination!) but it is also exactly what Midwestern rock is all about. It’s slower, plaintive (is that the word I mean to use?), grand, and just plain tugs at your insides. Now I don’t know if I ever met these guys (I feel like my band has played with them in the past but my memory is horrible) but if not I look forward to seeing them play. This is one of those bands that gets it. Experience=better rock & roll. Take notes kiddies. Braam is the real deal. More highlights: “Ballad of the Year” and “Katie Don’t Like Sundays”



MGMT “Congratulations” 3 Classic Big Wheels – A surprise that doesn’t last.



You probably know MGMT from their ultra-mega hit “Kids”. Dance-y, catchy, electro pop. If you think that is all that MGMT is…you are horribly wrong. “Congratulations” is full of retro, garage-y, surf rock that will have you tapping your toes while you are scratching your head. My brother Kyle raved about this record and I was excited to see it streaming in full on Spinner.com today. “Song for Dan Treacy” sounds like a Pixies b-side. “Someone’s Missing” explores Beck-ish falsetto soul and flows out with a real soul sound that fades out too soon. “Siberian Breaks” is 5 songs welded together with Mamas and Papas melodic rock shifting to Moody Blues shifting to 60’s psychedelic pop shifting to 70’s James Bond-ish flower pop and ending with an instrumental segment that sounds like pure Phillip Glass. To say that this band is chameleonesque would be an understatement. Overall a pretty good record but it needs something. Like maybe some stronger songs. Highlight: the slow groove of “Congratulations” and the lyrics analyzing success and its effects.


Broken Social Scene “Forgiveness Rock Record” 5 Classic Big Wheels. YEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!


Broken Social Scene are the poster children for indie rock in the 2000s. The music on the latest record is classic BSS. Upbeat, layered, melodic, and danceable chunks of rock & roll that is sure to please everyone from the cruelest critic, to the backpack and glasses set, and those just looking to dance. This is a very strong album full of interesting sounds and well written songs. “Texico Bitches”, “Forced To Love”, and “Water In Hell” are all examples of why Kevin Drew is one of my favorite songwriters and artists of the last decade. I don’t own this record yet but I will soon. Highlight: “Art House Director”, an upbeat romp with plenty of horns filling the spaces.



Les Savy Fav “Root For Ruin” 1 Classic Big Wheel. Ugh.



Les Savy Fav has been described as an always fun band with a hyper post-punk sound. Sounds good to me! Bring it on! The songs are fast, there is yelling…punchy, angular guitars weave throughout. It’s cool…but it’s also not hitting me at all. In fact I think I need to go buy a soda or something. Highlight: “Sleepless In Silverlake”. It is probably the slowest song on the record but also the only one that caught my attention at all.


Have a Happy New Year all! See you in 2011.

Rock on,

Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?