Fourth time’s a…oh whatever. Record reviews!

Records are streamed one time over the lonely Internets on Spinner.com. Reviews are a first impression and could possibly change with multiple listens but who am I kidding? No one cares anyways.


Yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah…0 to 5 scale just like everyone else but different.

0 pink paisley Telecasters – This record is sad. Just like the World would be blah, blah, blah…

1 pink paisley Telecasters – One is okay but not worth blah, blah, blah…

2 pink paisley Telecasters – Not much new here. Two are better than one but blah.

3 pink paisley Telecasters – The record is worth your time but probably won’t blah, blah, blah, blah.

4 pink paisley Telecasters – This is getting so good that it might even be too blah, blah.

5 pink paisley Telecasters – YES!!! (blah.)



Girls “Broken Dreams Club” 3.5 pink paisley Telecasters. Good stuff Petey.


I had to Wiki Girls: Girls is an indie rock band from San Francisco, California. Made up of two key members, Christopher Owens and Chet "JR" White. The band's lead singer, Christopher Owens, is a former member of the Children of God cult. The New York Times compared the band's sound to Elvis Costello, Buddy Holly, and The Beach Boys. There just don’t seem to be that many bands playing rock and roll anymore. It’s refreshing to run across this new EP. The six songs vary in genre and influences from old timey rock and roll to straight up indie rock to mellow, country-ish rock. Production is flawless with plenty of percussion, wind, and stringed instruments to add to the overall depth of the record. Highlights for me are the country, blues, rock of the title track and the classic sounding rock of “The Oh So Protective One.” This is a nice release that makes me want to check out more of their music.



Solvents “Forgive Yr. Blood” 1.5 pink paisley Telecasters. Slow and slow.


Hailing from a small town in Washington state, the indie-folk trio hit the national scene with their latest release. (Right from the band’s bio?) Yes there is acoustic guitar but I’m guessing the only thing that is making this an indie-folk band is the violin playing throughout the record. If you replace it with electric guitar this is an indie-rock band. So be forewarned Folkies. This may not really be your cup of tea. The funny thing is it may not be for the indie rockers either. The whole release is slow, somewhat empty, and not really all that interesting lyrically. In fact it still has a bit of a local band feel to it. Do you know what I mean? Solvents just seem like the kind of band that is playing the cool coffee house on the cool side of your town. They are good enough to make you look up from you iPhone but probably won’t make you want to sign their email list. Highlight track for me: “We Were Guests Here.”



Abby Gogo “Abby Gogo” 0 pink paisley Telecasters. Chimey. Sludgy. Reverby. Yucky.


The Atlanta-based psych-garage rockers release their first album. And by “psych-garage” I’m guessing they mean lo-fi, shoegaze, “I wish I was born in Manchester” crap. I really wanted to like this when I saw the description but why did Abby Gogo have to make it so hard to like? This might be better if I was eighteen and on drugs but since I’m an old guy sitting in an office I’m just not enjoying it. Highlight: when I checked to see which song was playing and saw that it was the last one. Thank God!


The Republic of Wolves “Varuna” 2.6 pink paisley Telecasters. Scary big rock. Pretty little rock. Evil vs Good. I need to listen again to decide for sure who won.


The up-and-coming Long Island, N.Y. indie rockers release their debut L.P. What is it about New York? Why is everything from New York bigger, slicker, and shinier? To me an indie rock band shouldn’t sound like it could open for Shinedown, but here it is in all it’s glory. Putting the indie rock tag on this band was probably done by some hipster label rep who was too scared to put the Rock (with a capital R) tag on it for fear that none of his cool friends would like it. Ok maybe this was a bit of an overreaction to the first song, “Varuna”, but really I’m not that far off. Fans of mainstream rock would probably like this band. This is all a little too grandiose for me. There are moments of promise, “The Attic” sounds a bit like Modest Mouse (in a good way.), but those moments don’t last long. Most quiet beginnings turn into monster guitar rock symphonies. I guess I’m saying that this is not a bad record…it’s just not hitting me the right way today. Highlights: “The Attic” and “Grounded, I Am Traveling Light”. There are definitely some songs to go back and listen to again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?