2nd Record Review EVAH...AND THERE IS PIE!

All records are streaming over those fantastic Internets and listened to only once.  The review is a first reaction and should not be taken to heart.  Got that Milwaukee bands?
-10 baby strawberry and honey pies (Not only do you not have the delicious goodness of even one baby strawberry and honey pie for yourself but you owe 10 to someone else!  That sucks big time!)

+0 baby strawberry and honey pies (Your life is boring and so is this record.)

+10 baby strawberry and honey pies (So much flavor!  How can you possibly keep this to yourself?!)


Eric and Magill “All Those I Know” +2 baby strawberry and honey pies.  Tasty but not delicious.
I didn’t know anything about Eric and Magill when I gave this record a listen today.  This is definitely for fans of Volcano Choir, Bon Iver, and all the other indie folk pop bands that are gaining ground these days.  Some of the early songs on the record reminded me too much of the wimpy synth pop bands in the 80’s that I couldn’t stand.  All the vocals are soaking in reverb and sound like mini choirs in major ballrooms.  It’s not bad overall but nothing on here really grabbed my attention.  I was thinking of giving this a 0 since I was bored all the way through but I gave it a couple of points because I suspect I will like it more with repeated listens.


Belle and Sebastian “Write About Love” +1.5 baby strawberry and honey pies.  Where’s the sugary goodness?
Here’s another artist I really don’t know anything about.  I’ve heard the name and probably even heard some songs but this is the first time I’ve listened to B & S record from beginning to end.  The first word that comes to mind is cute.  The music, vocals, and even the album art are all cute.  Nothing goes too far out there.  Some of the lyrics are cliché.  There is a 60’s pop feel that runs throughout.  “I’m Not Living in the Real World” is part Pete Townsend and part Squeeze but never hits as well as those pop masters could.  “Write About Love” might have some fans but for me it feels empty and weak.  Soft rock for a new generation.


Badly Drawn Boy “It’s What I’m Thinking” -2 baby strawberry and honey pies.  I just threw up my pies.
I guess pretty acoustic guitars and breathy vocals awash in reverb is the order of the day.  This record starts out with the quiet mystery of “In Safe Hands”.  The song isn’t amazing but it’s a nice intro to an extremely boring record.  I’m not familiar with singer/songwriter Damon Gough’s work but listening to his latest record I’m pretty sure most of his music is just like these songs.  I was hoping for something really cool today but I don’t think this is it.  Time to crank up some rock!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?