Smashing Pumpkins vs JEFF The Brotherhood vs Limblifter

Back at this being a jerk thing.  You know.  Writing about records and telling you that it's all crap.

Random rating scale:

1 brand new air conditioner - Yuck.
2 brand new air conditioners - Ok, but it's still pretty uncomfortable in here.
3 brand new air conditioners - Nice.  Better than the Joneses.
4 brand new air conditioners - Now you are just showing off!
5 brand new air conditioners - Opulence!

Smashing Pumpkins "Oceania" 2.5 brand new air conditioners.  Okay.  Heading in the right direction.
History: I la la loved "Gish"!  Wanted to make my guitar sound just like Billy's guitar.  Wanted my band to sound just like the Punkins.  Then with each record that came out after "Gish" I slowly fell out of love with the band.  This one has flashes but as you will probably hear or read in other places it's not all that.  For me the problem is Billy Corgan is too grandiose in his musical vision.  He is much better when he is writing a simple tune like the one that is hiding in the middle of "Pinwheels" but of course Corgan has to hide it with huge chunks of orchestrated rock on the front and back ends.  The band shines with the big rock slab of "The Chimera".  More of this kind of song would truly put this band back on my musical map.  Highlights: "Pinwheels" and "The Chimera".

JEFF The Brotherhood "Hypnotic Nights" 3 brand new air conditioners.  Nice rock n roll!
I saw this band play live at NPR over these fab Internets before I heard a recorded song.  I thought, "Eh, some kind of gimmick or joke so they can get some attention."  But now that I hear the songs and listen close to the lyrics I changed my way of thinking.  I now think this band is just some dudes who like to party and as far as the new record goes they are writing about what they know.  It's refreshing to hear a new record that is all about fun.  Don't get me wrong there are some thick mixes here.  Lots of different instruments layered over the bass, drum, guitars.  Still, the overall raw rock and roll feeling is still there.  Not a great record...but a really good record.  There aren't many of those released these days.  Highlights: "Leave Me Out" and "Six Pack".

Limblifter "Limblifter" 2 brand new air conditioners.  Ok I guess.
First of all I can't STAND when bands release self-titled albums!!  The title gives you another chance at being creative and isn't that what you are doing this for???  To show some CREATIVITY???  Ok on with the review.  Unlike the last band that I just reviewed these guys seem really serious about this music thing.  Production is crazy professional.  Songs are all just the right amount of radio friendly.  That's a few reasons why I'm not crazy about this record.  I like when things are a little bit off.  I should say it's not bad.  Some nice guitar playing (and sounds) happening.  It's just not grabbing me by the bolas.  Highlights: "Cordova" and "Round The 2".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few