Scorpion Lightning Rumbles Revolution

Records spin one time over the Internets (usually).  I come up with some obvious yet slightly weird rating system.  Each record gets a rating and some snarky comments.  Okay maybe not snarky, but probably not very nice.  I don't like very much new music these days.

1 Sack of Jay Cutler - Ehh...most people living in Wisconsin can claim one.
2 Sacks of Jay Cutler - I guess that's pretty good.  But he probably still beat you down field more than 2 times.
3 Sacks of Jay Cutler - Cool.  He's rattled and probably threw at least one interception.
4 Sacks of Jay Cutler - Nice!  You probably beat his team!
5 Sacks of Jay Cutler - You are a BEAST!!!  We need your ring size!

Patterson Hood "Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance" 3 Sacks of Jay Cutler.  Pretty cool.
Patterson Hood is the main songwriter and vocalist in the band Drive By Truckers.  He is a true storyteller.  The songs on this solo album are not going to surprise you if you know his music.  Each song tells a story and each song is pretty good.  However the one thing missing from this record is the one really strong song that you have to play over and over again.  Oh well.  I guess I'll just have to settle for playing the whole record when I feel like chilling and listening to some stories.  Highlights: "Leaving Time" and "Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance."

Randolph Miller "A Summer of Revolution" 4 Sacks of Jay Cutler.  Very strong stuff!
This review is a little out of the ordinary for me since I know Randolph Miller.  Actually I know him as Randy Miller and he has been a good friend of mine for many years.  We have played together in cover bands on and off for probably more than 20 years.  With that said on to the review:  Randy is an amazing guitar player!  Yes this album is full of unbelievable shredding that will wow even the most expert guitarist.  But the one thing that completely took me by surprise is to hear what a great composer Randy is.  Each song has sections of layered guitars that seem like musical landscapes worth hundreds of pictures.  The only thing that is lacking is the rhythm section (which Randy lays down himself with bass and drum programs.)  "Revolution" makes it obvious that with a killer rhythm section this guy could be touring the country as a rock/metal guitarist.  I'm going to cut the review here since I usually don't get too in depth on the records but let me just say if you want to get together over a few beers and analyze this record song by song just shoot me an email.  I can't wait to see what's coming from this creative hurricane of a guitarist.  Highlights: "Charlemagne's Hammer (More Fun)", "Life of the Mind", and the super sweet album cover by Randy's wife Jana!

Will Johnson "Scorpion" 3.5 Sacks of Jay Cutler.  Makes me think!
Sure I love my rock & roll with spitfire and grooves, but I also love slow tempo, acoustic guitar, quiet and thoughtful vocals, with some sweet reverb-y piano.  That's what I get in buckets with Will Johnson.  He is the leader of the bands Centro-matic and South San Gabriel.  He's from Austin and like his hometown he has cool grooves flowing in his blood.  Scene: I'm walking in a beautiful park.  It's Fall and the leaves are colors that I never thought leaves could turn.  Will Johnson's "Scorpion" record is in my ears (probably earbuds unfortunately).  Everything is right with the world.  Run credits.  Highlights: "You Will Be Here, Mine" and "Bloodkin Push".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few