Mudhoney, Rogue Wave, and Oblivians. Which one wins the Rock N Roll spit cup?

I listen to a record one time.  I give it a rating.  I write a short first impression review.  Nothing earth shattering.

1 personalized guitar pick - lame
2 personalized guitar picks - below average
3 personalized guitar picks - pretty okay
4 personalized guitar picks - good stuff
5 personalized guitar picks - pretty damn perfect

 Mudhoney "Vanishing Point" 4 personalized guitar picks

I missed the Mudhoney boat the first time it came around.  I heard random songs but I was never blown away.  If "Vanishing Point" came out 20 years ago I would have been one of their biggest fans for a long time.  This record is fun!  Even if the lyrical topics are a little dark and most of the songs are minor key rockers.  I really like this new record.  Mudhoney is in prime form and even the screaming sounds great! Highlights: "I Like It Small" and "Chardonnay".

 Rogue Wave "Nightingale Floors" 3 personalized guitar picks
Dear Rogue Wave,
I am a fan.  I loved your album "Descended Like Vultures"!  "Asleep At Heaven's Gate" and "Permalight" both left me wanting something more.  I can't put my finger on it.  Wait...yes I can.  "Vultures" was a strong record full of strong songs.  At first listen "Nightingale Floors" sounds like "Asleep in the Permalight".  Very pleasant.  Nice Sunday afternoon dreamy nap and watch videos pleasant.  But with that comes some disappointment.  Mostly because I miss the rock.  I miss the strong songs that I can't stop listening to.  Highlights: "S(a)tan" and "Used To It".

Oblivians "Desperation" 5 well-worn personalized guitar picks
Tip of the day: If you find yourself driving a '67 Chevelle SS through the desert on your way to a life of leisure in Mexico make sure this disc is your soundtrack.  You will not fail in anything you try.  This is Rock N Roll with a capital R and N and R.  I'm intentionally avoiding the use of exclamation points but I think you can feel my excitement.  Can't you?  Highlights: "I'll Be Gone" and "Pinball King".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?