Eggs really aren't that funny and other record reviews and stuff.

All records are streamed over my work computer while I’m working away at office-related stuff. Reviews are either a first or possibly 2nd impression with not much thought put into grammar and all that stuff.


0 cool stuff. Really? They spent time in the studio for this???

1 cool stuff. Not good enough. 1 is the loneliest stuff.

2 cool stuff. Better but I’m not sure this release is worth much more than one passing listen and stuff.

3 cool stuff. Now there is some cool stuff in here. Possibly worth a download. Not sure about a legal one though.

4 cool stuff. That’s alotta good stuff! You want this record and stuff.

5 cool stuff. This is not just a record. It is the soundtrack to a long and happy life and stuff!!


Mew “Eggs Are Funny” 3 cool stuff. The way this one is built it just might spill good stuff on you.

I have never heard this band before. They are described as a Danish alternative music band. I just can’t get over the fact that the lead singer sounds a lot like the singer from Built To Spill. He sounds so much like him that I wouldn’t be surprised if Built To Spill release music under the name Mew just to get more of their music out there every year. One disappointing thing is that this is a compilation album with only one new song. I was hoping to hear a complete work but this is pretty much a best-of album without the hits. The songs are ok. It might be better described as guitar-based indie-prog rock. None of the songs are really all that catchy so I won’t mention any in particular. If you like melodic guitar rock this might be worth a listen but I’m betting you won’t run out to buy this at your local record store. Highlight – saying the band name over and over again and having your coworkers think you are insane.


British Sea Power “Valhalla Dancehall” 2 cool stuff. There is a hole in the ship.

The first song, “Who’s In Control”, is a pretty straight ahead rock song. This seems to be the mission statement on this, the fourth British Sea Power record. They want to rock and rock they will! Well you could probably take the exclamation mark off the end of that last sentence. They TRY to rock it up but really it seems kind of empty without out the strong songs. This record is a band that is going through the motions in the middle of a fairly short musical career. If this band doesn’t find the hooks I will be surprised to hear them releasing new music in the next few years. Highlight – “Who’s In Control”. Straight up rocker that the rest of the album never matches in intensity.


Cage the Elephant “Thank You, Happy Birthday” 3.5 cool stuff. (Spoiler alert! Oops. I should have put this before the rating!)

The Kentucky rock band’s sophomore effort was inspired by alternative acts like Butthole Surfers and Pixies. So if you make a record that sounds exactly like your favorite band is that a good thing or a bad thing? I’m fighting in my own head about this right now thanks to this record. Some of the songs sound exactly like the Pixies! Wait. No. That’s wrong. A lot of the songs sound exactly like the Pixies! Now I love the Pixies but I’m not sure if I love this. Part of my brain is saying, “Cool. Since the Pixies aren’t really releasing new albums anymore at least I have something new that SOUNDS like them.” And you know what the other side of my brain is saying, “Damn! Get your own sound! This has been done before and done way better!” I’m not sure which side of my brain will be victorious but for right now songs like “Sell Yourself” and “Right Before My Eyes” have me tapping my foot and thinking back to the good ole days. Highlight – Pixies Jr. is definitely more fun than the fake G. Love sound they had on their hit single “Ain’t No Rest For the Wicked” back in 2009.


Tapes ‘N Tapes “Outside” 1 cool stuff. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Did you ever click on the play button of a streaming album fully intending to listen to the entire release and the next thing you know is that it is almost over and you weren’t really listening to any of it? Uh…Yeah…Not a good sign.


Cake “Showroom of Compassion” 1.5 cool stuff. "2 songs does not an album makeith". – Steve Shakespeare (William’s lesser known brother and one of the first ever record reviewers.)

Cake is at their best when they are rocking the funky bass riffs, spitting the smart/funny lyrics, snapping the dance-y beat out of the drums, and painting the corners with tasty trumpet melodies. On “Showroom of Compassion”, Cake’s first release since 2004 all of the elements mentioned above are sorely at a minimum. How do you release a song called, “Got To Move” that is slow and plodding like a fat kid sadly walking to school? Maybe Cake forgot their own formula for a really good album? That would be sad since I always like hearing the new bouncy cake song on the radio. Highlight – Mustache Man (Wasted) and “Sick Of You” seem to be the only songs they use the formula on. Plenty of percussion, trumpet, and groove…now I wish the rest of the record rocked like these 2 songs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few