I found love and other record reviews!

If you are not familiar with my reviews I listen to each record usually only one time. I stream them over the fabulous Al Gore invention called the Internet. I try to pay close attention to the music but it if it doesn’t hold my attention it becomes background music and I get grumpy. I also give the band a low rating if that happens because I’m angry with them for failing to give me the proper mental escape from my tedious work.



1 original margarita on the rocks – Meh

2 original margaritas on the rocks – Ok

3 original margaritas on the rocks – Got me buzzing.

4 original margaritas on the rocks – Party time!

5 original margaritas on the rocks – So good you probably shouldn’t drive home!



The Decemberists “The King Is Dead” 4 original margaritas on the rocks. Familiar but tasty!


What do you get when you mix a little classic Neil Young, with Peter Buck’s guitar, and some Gillian Welch vocals? No it’s not a new project from Robert Plant! It’s the new Decemberist’s record! Right from the start the harmonica sings and the beat chugs away at a nice locomotive pace. And unlike a lot of the records I have reviewed lately THERE ARE SONGS HERE! There is a nice classic rock feel throughout the album but it’s also fresh. Nice hooks and melodies. I’m not a big Decemberists fan but this album really made my morning. Highlights: “Don’t Carry It All” a really strong first song and “Dear Avery” a really nice way to end the record.


Tennis “Cape Dory” 1 original margarita. Retro but not cool. How does that happen?



This is 50’s guitar pop all over again. It could be cool and fits the indie mold just fine but there is one thing missing: excitement! Boring, boring, and boring with a capital Z! I want my money back! Ok since it was a free listen I want my time back. The only thing keeping me from giving this a zero was the last song, “Waterbirds”. It just barely held my attention which is saying a lot compared to the rest of the album.


Eulogies “Tear the Fences Down” 3 original margaritas. Probably won’t tear any fences down.


Eulogies is an indie rock band based out of Los Angeles. This new release is good but it’s not going to make you want to quit your job and follow their tour across the country. There are some cool harmonies as well as some nice change-ups in style from song to song. Nice listen for a Thursday afternoon but not much more than that. Highlights: “Intimate Debris” and “Little Else To Say”.


Dolorean “The Unfazed” 5 original margaritas. Don’t pick me up off of the floor.


Right off the bat I can tell that Dolorean is a slice of Americana that does nothing but satisfy. The first song, “Thinskinned” is full of piano, guitar, strings, and heartfelt lyrics. In fact, the rest of the record is just as strong. Slow but steady this Portland band is as good as anything you will find out there. I’m looking forward to listening to more from them. Highlights: “If I Find Love”, “Thinskinned”, “The Unfazed” and pretty much everything else on this excellent release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few