Buffalo Tom, Ringo Deathstarr, Beady Eye, Beth Ditto, Empress Hotel

Record reviews (you know the drill):


1 Sunday brunch Mimosa – Not good enough.
2 Sunday brunch Mimosas – Okay, but try again next weekend.
3 Sunday brunch Mimosas – Better than two but why stop there?
4 Sunday brunch Mimosas – Party time! All doors will open to you but are you the drunkest?
5 Sunday brunch Mimosas – Breakfast and lunch and drinking all in one??? Awesome!!!

Buffalo Tom “Skins” 4 Sunday brunch Mimosas. Party like it’s 1990 whatever.


What year is this? 1994? It’s actually really nice to see Buffalo Tom back again. They were never a powerhouse band even at their high point but they always featured fairly strong songwriting skills. This record starts out very promising with “Arise, Watch”, a catchy pop song that made me smile when I first heard it. “Don’t Forget Me” is a slower country-ish ballad that features vocals from Tanya Donnelly. “Guilty Girls” rocks like it’s right off of their excellent album “Big Red Letter Day”. Buffalo Tom is back and I am very thankful. Highlights: “Arise, Watch”, “Guilty Girls”, “She’s Not Your Thing”.

Ringo Deathstarr “Colour Trip” 3 Sunday brunch Mimosas. My shoes aren’t nice enough to gaze at.


Yes they sound like My Bloody Valentine and yes they also sound a bit like Sonic Youth. I’m not a big fan of either of those bands but I find this record to be kinda cool. I’ve never really been into shoegaze pop but this record held my interest. I probably won’t run out and buy it but at least I won’t run the other direction every time I hear the word shoegaze anymore. Highlight: “Imagine Hearts”.


Beady Eye “Different Gear, Still Speeding” 1 Sunday brunch Mimosa. Like Oasis but even worse.


This is the first release by the band that features Liam Gallagher, Gem Archer, and Andy Bell formerly of Oasis. Right off the bat it feels like a band that really wants to rock it out. But (and it’s a pretty big but!) this record sounds tame. This is a band that might be cool to see live but the record is full of shortcomings. Weak lyrics, not much in the riff department, and just a mediocre sound overall.  Highlights: Cool cover. That’s about it.

Beth Ditto “Beth Ditto ep” 0 Sunday brunch Mimosas. I would express myself but this is a family friendly blog.


Like Lady Gaga this ep owes a debt to Madonna. Mediocre dance pop with no teeth. Next!

Empress Hotel “Empress Hotel” 3 Sunday brunch Mimosas.  Okay but I need to listen again.


They remind me of some other bands but they don’t sound like a rip off. Unfortunately I got busy at work and this record became background music to some annoying coworkers problems…but I could still tell that this was one that might be worth another listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few