Fountains of Wayne, Fruit Bats, and Musikanto

I barely listen to a full streaming record and then I give you my simple opinion.  It's not rocket science.  Well it is a little bit but I don't like to brag.

1 Red Rocket - Nothing to get excited about.
2 Red Rockets - Okay but don't spend your money.
3 Red Rockets - Good.  Might be worth a few bucks.
4 Red Rockets - Very cool.  Worth a trip to iTunes.
5 Red Rockets - A masterpiece!  Download it and then go to the neighborhood record store and buy the vinyl!

Fountains of Wayne "Sky Full of Holes" 2 Red Rockets.  Yawn.
There was a time when I liked Fountains of Wayne.  Their first album "Fountains of Wayne" came out and I heard "Radiation Vibe" and immediately thought this band was cool.  There were a few other songs on that album that I dug but that was the only thing I ever bought from this band.  I eventually got sick of Chris Collingwood's voice, the oh-so-clever lyrics that just seemed to rhyme too much, and the wimpy guitar-bass-drum pop backdrops that never seemed to have any cojones.  I mean not everything needs to rock like Zeppelin but man this gets tired very quickly.  "Sky Full of Holes" is a more laid back and acoustic-y offering from FoW and that adds to my boredom even more.  This is not a terrible album at all but you probably will here a song on one of those too cool for you reality shows on MTV.  Highlights: "The Summer Place".

Fruit Bats "Tripper" 4 Red Rockets.  Original, interesting, musical...fun.
I really don't know anything about this band.  I had heard the name at some point but I don't even know if I've ever heard a song.  I'll have to say the first couple of songs have me interested.  There are odd sounds yet everything seems so familiar.  I wouldn't say they are playing rock but then again it doesn't seem to be folk, country, or any other definable genre.  I can't put my finger on this record and I think that makes it even better for me.  I'm not sure if I will spend the money on it since I'm only through the first 3 songs but there is a chance.  Let me listen closer and I'll get right back to you......... 
........Okay it's pretty effin' cool.  Highlights: Every song sounds cool and different from each other.

Musikanto "Sky of Dresses" 3.5 Red Rockets.  Rootsy.  Laid back.  Nice summer day record.

I like the first line of the bio for this record.  "Like a field recording from the past..."  Perfect description for this folky, Americana, Chicago singer/songwriter.  Lot's of cool acoustic guitars.  Nice lyrics and vocal delivery.  Solid bass and drums back up these mellow rootsy rock tunes.  Highlights: "Take What You Need" and "Awful Mind".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?