You can't KILL me (or my record reviews!)

I love music.  I like to write.  I write about music.  I also dance about architecture.

1 Acroterion promenade - Not too exciting.
2 Acroterion promenades - Ok but you've done this before.
3 Acroterion promenades - Good.  Might be worth another look.
4 Acroterion promenades - Exciting!  Fresh!  But not the best.
5 Acroterion promenades - This is the one you were waiting all your life for!

Dan Andriano in the Emergency Room "Hurricane Season" 1.5 Acroterion promenades.  Ehhh.
Dan Andriano is the bass player in Alkaline Trio.  His debut solo record is full of acoustic rockers.  Problem is he is not a great guitar player or songwriter.  Everything on this release just says, "Meh."  Sorry but I wish I had better news.  The patient just didn't make it.  Highlights:  The cover is kinda cool.

Scattered Trees "Sympathy" 1.4 Acroterion promenades.  Watered down.
Do you like indie bands?  Do you like Coldplay?  Yes and yes?  This Chicago quintet is for you.  Emotive vocals.  Yearning lyrics.  Sweeping musical landscapes.  They might be somebody's cup of frappe latte but not mine.  Highlights: Coming to the coolest live music club near you.  Don't forget to wear your designer shades during the show!

Pepper Rabbit "Red Velvet Snowball" 3.75 Acroterion promenades.  Original.  Cool.  Big.
Electro-pop.  A term that usually has me running the other way.  But I might finally have found a band that can make it interesting and kinda cool.  Pepper Rabbit is probably keeping me interested because they also use a lot of real instruments and their songs have hooks.  There are a lot of acoustic guitar lines, percussion instruments, piano, and real drums running in between the electrofied instruments.  This is a band to watch and a release to check out.  Highlights: "Rose Mary Stretch" and "Family Planning".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?