Nada Finn Life Surf Times

New music!  New music!  New music!  Rock n Roll!  My reviews are set in stone.  The stone that builds this blog.  Blog stones.  Stoners blog.  But I'm not one.  Here is my random record review rating scale:

1 great song.  This may sell as a single on iTunes but it won't carry a record.
2 great songs.  This may get some people's attention but again...do you really want to buy a full-length?
3 great songs.  This is something many artists never accomplish.  Take notice.
4 great songs.  This is a lot of sentences starting with this.  This is worth your cash.
5 great songs.  What?  A sentence that doesn't start with the word this???  Different!  True greatness is on the horizon.

Craig Finn "Clear Heart Full Eyes" 3 great songs.  Solid man!  Solid!
Craig Finn is the lead singer and lyricist of the band the Hold Steady.  I am not a big fan of that band.  The "talky" vocals wear on me after a while.  I love melody and there are not a lot of catchy melodies on the Hold Steady records.  With that said the first song on this new solo record, "Apollo Bay" really pulled me in.  It's a bluesy song that really gave new life to Finn's "talky" vocal delivery.  This song along shows that Craig Finn is a promising artist and this record is definitely one to check out.  "New Friend Jesus" shows that Finn could win a best new country artist if he committed to that genre.  He does have a certain lyrical meter that he is comfortable with that gets a little old after a while but over all this is a nice album to put on and chill to.  Highlights: "Apollo Bay", "New Friend Jesus", and "Western Pier".

Nada Surf "The Stars Are Indifferent To Astronomy" 2 great songs.  Maybe.
At their best Nada Surf can fill a record full of catchy songs with catchy melodies and decent lyrics.  "The Stars Are Indifferent..." does not find Nada Surf at their best.  I have always liked this band and this one (at first listen) is a bit of a snoozer.  This record will garner a lot of good reviews but for me it just doesn't live up to "The Weight Is A Gift" or "Let Go".  Maybe after some time and more listens it will grow on me but for now I will be "Waiting For Something" more from this record.  Highlights: "Waiting For Something" and "Clear Eye Clouded Mind."

The Life and Times "No One Loves You Like I Do" 3 great songs.  Big and important sounding.

Once upon a time...a long time ago...in a land far, far, away...called Chicago...I saw a raw 3 piece band open up for the Poster Children.  That band was called Shiner.  I had no idea who they were or where they came from.  I was standing pretty far from the stage and when they were done I looked around and noticed I was very close to the stage.  I was in a daze with how good they were.  The lead singer and guitarist was Allan Epley who is also the lead in The Life and Times.  Now I haven't followed this band as closely as I did Shiner but I have to say that it is all pretty much the same.  Sometimes angular, heavy rock matched up with nice melodies and overtones that float over chords and hit you unexpectedly.  The new record is more of the good.  The one problem I do have is the song titles.  Song #1 is called "Day Six".  Song #2 is called "Day 9" and the same seemingly random song titles throughout the rest of this 10 song release.  Fans of prog-rock, hard rock, and or heavy indie rock bands will like this record.  Highlights: "Day One" and "Day Eleven".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few