Calexico, Julien Baker, and They Might Be Giants sitting in a tree.

   ---Open on a bright and cheery kitchen.  Smartly decorated.---
I listen to 3 new records.
      I give each record a score based on a random rating scale.
You pretend you care.
                                   
1 Chicago dog - What's the point?
2 Chicago dogs - Maybe
3 Chicago dogs - Now we are getting somewhere!
4 Chicago dogs - Right on!
5 Chicago dogs - Heaven is real!

Calexico "The Thread That Keeps Us" 3 Chicago dogs.  Pleasant.
Calexico is cool.  Who doesn't like their brand of acoustic guitar rock lightly seasoned with horns and percussion?  This record has some nice songs that really started grabbing at me.  Unfortunately it also has some clunkers that made me want to reach for the skip button.  I would definitely put this on at a party if I wanted some cool background music that isn't going to offend anyone.
Highlights: "End of the World With You" and "Music Box"

Julien Baker "Turn Out the Lights" 5 Chicago Dogs.  Heavenly.
The music is simple.  A piano with a big roomy sound.  An electric guitar with delay.  Julien's beautiful voice starting out quiet and easy.  Slowly building to soaring melodies.  Songs about loss.  Pain.  This record is an oddity.  It's sad and quiet but I could see it becoming a breakout radio hit.  She makes Gaga and Ke$ha sound like overblown windbags.  Think Greg Dulli meets...well...Julien Baker.  She is really something special.
Highlights: "Appointments", "Turn Out the Lights", and "Televangelist"

They Might Be Giants "I Like Fun" 3 Chicago dogs.  Fun.
I've never been a big fan.  However this record has a lot of really, well, fun songs.  But 15 songs???  Not all of them should be on this record.  Cut it down to the strongest 8 and this would have rated higher.  Smart, catchy, and upbeat rock.  Impress your professor!
Highlights: "I Left My Body" and "The Bright Side"

--Panoramic shot of our hero riding his snowblower into the sunset--

                                      ---End scene---

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few