New records from Dr. Demento, Jeff Rosenstock, and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club!

Dear kids of 2018,

It's me.  F me.  With some new music for your ears.  Or new music your ears should stay away from.

I listen to new records.

Once through.

I give each record a simple rating.

You proceed accordingly with your life.

Today's rating scale:
1 cute diapered monkey cleaning your place - Meh.  Still dirty.
2 cute diapered monkeys cleaning your place - Better but not good.
3 cute diapered monkeys cleaning your place - Decent!
4 cute diapered monkeys cleaning your place - Where's my wallet?
5 cute diapered monkeys cleaning your place - Take my passwords and pin codes!!!

Dr. Demento "Covered In Punk" 5 cute diapered monkeys! Buy this in every available format!
Dr. Demento's radio show was a part of my childhood.  So yes, there might be a bit of nostalgia influencing my opinion of this record.  Is that really such a bad thing?  The record is set up like a Dr. Demento radio show with many "clips" of the "Doctor" introducing songs.  This makes the two discs fly by compared to most double albums.  All the demented hits are here.  "Fish Heads" as done by Osaka Popstar.  "Dead Puppies" as done by James Kochalka Superstar.  Even an amazing cover of Suicidal Tendencies' hit song "Institutionalized" as done by Brak is worth the price of admission alone.  Don't let the title of this record fool you.  These are not pop-punk covers by annoying bands from the 90's.  All kinds of rock music is here.  Los Straight Jackets, Shonen Knife, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts.  Even Adam West and William Shatner.  I could go on and on but I won't.
Highlights: "Institutionalized" by Brak and all the other songs too.

Jeff Rosenstock "Post-" 3 diapered monkeys. Stream it a couple of times.
Big guitars, sing-along choruses, catchy melodies, Noise NOIse and more NOISE!  It's kind of surprising that anyone is still doing this type of music anymore.  You would think it's all been done.  In some ways you might be right.  "Post-" is cool but it doesn't really grab me as much as I hoped it would.  There's some cool moments and even a couple of songs I'll revisit but as a whole record this is only just okay.
Highlights: "All This Useless Energy" and "Beating My Head Against A Wall"

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club "Wrong Creatures" 2 diapered monkeys.  Blah. Blah.
This sounds like soundtrack music to a boring movie about cool vampires at a dance club.  Reverb, delay, and smooth swagger don't necessary make a great record.  Where's the songs?  Hits?  Hooks???  This is boring.  Move along.
Highlights: "Spook" is ok.  Still not that great.

Sincerely,

-Fme



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Sidekicks and Cursive Girls

Will Facebook and Twitter Miss Me When I'm Gone?

Big Haunts Sleep Past the Few